COPING WITH COVID_19 AND STAYING AT HOME
Many families are enjoying this period at home, with the sunshine and the time to spend together. Others are dealing with work pressures and financial worries, isolation and loneliness. For us all, these uncertain times can cause stress in individuals and between family members. Children will find it harder to understand the situation than adults.
There is a lot of advice for us about staying healthy and positive, hydrating and exercising. Keeping in touch with one another is vital and asking for help is important for everyone, from time to time.
Please do let us know if you are struggling in any way: we may be able to help you ourselves, we may be able to provide resources or we may be able to put you in touch with someone who can help.
The links and resources below may help parents with these stresses and anxieties at home, and with supporting children with additional needs. Please do share them with friends if they may be of use.
Take care of yourselves.
This on line guide may help you deal with your children's anxieties:
These resources may also be helpful:
- National Autistic Society – guidance and helpline for parents’, young people and staff: https://www.autism.org.uk/services/nas-schools/vanguard/news/2020/march/coronavirus-(covid-19)-advice.aspx
- Mencap - Easy Read guide to Coronavirus: https://www.mencap.org.uk/sites/default/files/2020-03/Information%20about%20Coronavirus%20ER%20SS2.pdf
- Place2Be – Guide to helping parents answer questions from their children and to support family wellbeing: https://www.place2be.org.uk/about-us/news-and-blogs/2020/march/coronavirus-information-for-children/
- Young Minds - Talking to your child about Coronavirus and 10 tips from their Parents Helpline to support family wellbeing: https://youngminds.org.uk/blog/talking-to-your-child-about-coronavirus/
- Carers UK - Guidance for carers: https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/health/looking-after-your-health/coronavirus-covid-19
- Covibook – an interactive resource designed to support and reassure children aged 7 and under, designed to help children explain and draw the emotions that they might be experiencing during the pandemic: https://www.mindheart.co/descargables
- Amaze - information pack for parents https://amazesussex.org.uk/faqs-about-the-coronavirus-for-parent-carers-of-children-with-send-brighton-hove/